Extension not signed off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a flat roofed extension built in 1982, my late husband dealt with all the technical stuff!

After his death I can find no paper work or sign off cert for the extension.

I do know that plans were submitted and I was around when the building inspector came to inspect, I worked full time and only aware of that single visit. That was done when the walls had been erected and before the floor was laid and the roof done, thats how I know that pipes were laid from the ventilation bricks in the lounge under the floor to the outer wall of the extension.

In 30 years we have never had a problem, no cracks even during settling and when we had a window replaced with french doors a few years ago the fitters remarked how well it was built it took ages to cut the lower wall out, they said so many just fall over when they have made the cuts.

However, not wanting to leave a problem for my children when I expire I would like to get it sorted but terrified it would cost a fortune to bring it up to current regs, or even worse to have to take it down. Any advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It was built in 1982 therefore the regulations regarding the construction will be from then.
You should check with your local building control to see what the position is regarding getting it signed off.

Thankyou for getting back.

From the research I have done so far it seems that building control could only right it off for todays building regs not 1982. I know there is insurance I could take out which I think would allow the sale to go through but that only covers the buyer for any devaluation in the unlikely event the extension be demolished.

Does anybody know about this 'comfort note' some sort of halfway house that councils will offer, doesn't cover todays regs but in there opinion it is sound and planning was granted.

From what I can gleam the builders had their work inspected, but they did not do the plumbing, electrics or roof felt. So it is understandable they would not organise the right off that was our responsibility.

The crumb of comfort I get from that is that at least the main construction of the extension should be sound, there is only one radiator in there and that was replaced last summer, have the paper work for that, I had planned to have the flat roof re-felted and insulated this summer anyway, the felt is fine but room needs to be warmer.

When I had a burglar alarm fitted last summer the electrician said the electric feed to the room needs trunking that would not be a problem. Looks like I need to take the bull by the horns and contact building control. :confused:

There may or may not be a record at the council. But it is so long ago now, that it would not matter

There is no requirement to bring an old extension up to current regulations

I survey properties and can say that no-one would question an old extension for building or planning regulations. If the extension is sound then that is it, there would be no issues

As it is , the extension is now treated as part of the main house and any issues will just be the normal ones of routine maintenance.

There is no need to worry about any certification

Sponsored Links
Also, your building control department is wrong. If you were to regularise now (which is really unnecessary) the regulations would be those in force at the time of the build - not current regulations.

I think the cut-off date is 11th November 1985, and a local authority will not even entrtain an application for a regularization certificate for work done before then.
As the other contributors have said, you have nothing to be concerned about as regards Building Regulations and Planning Permission (unless you live in a listed building, that is!).

we bought our house which had 2 extensions front and side which had dame ammount of details which our solicitor pointed out to us. But as they had been up for 25 years he said any objections would not be valid. Although there was a mickey mouse single skin brick shed that had been put up in the corner wsharing the same flat roof as the side extension which the seller had to buy an indemnity insurance for.

You should be fine with it as it is as even if you or your kids decide to sell it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back