Extension questions

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A house that backs on to our garden started building a full length dormer extension about 5 weeks ago. This gave us some ideas and we've got an architect drawing up plans for us now, I had a few questions that I was hoping to find answers to.

• Finding a builder - The architect has estimated the build cost at about £40k (he's done three of these exact extensions previously). He's got a preferred builder he has pointed us too but I'd like to get other quotes. What's the best way to find someone for work like this? I don't know anyone who has had an extension built and I've not had the best luck finding people online before, the only builder I've used who has been any good doesn't do projects that size.
  • Working days - The extension behind has had people working 8-4 6 days a week as well as a few hours on Sundays. One of our neighbours apparently lost it yesterday and went round screaming at the builder. We've currently got a fairly good relationship with the neighbours, if we asked the builders to restrict working hours at the weekend would it cost us more money?
  • We've been thinking about adding air conditioning as the heat is an epilepsy trigger and know someone who could do this. If we had this put in during the build phase and arranged it ourselves is it likely to cause us a problem with the builder?
  • It looks like we may need to move out for a few weeks during the build. Where do people typically go for a short period like that? I'd assumed we wouldn't need to as a lot of the work seems to have been done to the one behind before they've broken through but the homeowners haven't been there at all.

Sponsored Links
Stating the obvious, but of the builders next door do a decent job, how about them? Your neighbours would be able to give a positive or negative reference.

Stating the obvious, but of the builders next door do a decent job, how about them? Your neighbours would be able to give a positive or negative reference.

Theirs is being done by the builder the architect recommended, I'd want more than one quote for it given the price

Sponsored Links
There are a number of firms that do modular loft conversions that seem to be great, in terms of how quickly they can be put up, and how little disruption it causes.

There was a thread on them recently

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back