Extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ive been reading a little into extensions and I would like if possible some clarification where it says extensions must not exceed 50% of the total area of land around the original house

By that I assume it means the area inside the house and is this ground floor alone or ground and first floor looking at single story extension if that changes anything. Very rough calculation tells me the ground floor of my house is approx 41 square meters, I have an existing extension to the front of the house which is 6 square meters (before I bought the house) so my side extension must be 15 square meters max before I need planning permission?

Sponsored Links
No. It means you can't cover more than 50% of your garden. What you can physically build is laid out in PD rules.

oh ok, I could build a fairly large extension then budget permitting!

Sponsored Links
oh ok, I could build a fairly large extension then budget permitting!

For a single story rear extension, you are also limited to 3m beyond the house if it is an attached house, and 4m if it is a detached house. For a two storey extensions the limit is 3m. Those measurements are external. For a side extension you can go not more than 50% of the width of the house. Other restrictions apply. Those are permitted dveelopment rights but obviously you might be able to do more if you applied for planning permission.

See:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/miniguide

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back