exterior door and frame replacement advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an ex council house, the back door and frame are knackered and need replacin, and anyone I ask dont seem to give a definitive answer.
Its a combination frame, when you stand in the yard and look at it my back doors on the left, then a wooden divider strip, then the outhouse door on the right, both surrounded by adouble frame, im sure you get the jist.
In order to cut down on cost I was thinking of getting a brickie to knock back the blockwork behind the wooden divider strip (after ripping the whole double frame and doors out) and toothing in a new brick pillar/divider to come flush with the face brick outside, so that when you look from the yard, therell be my back door opening on the left, a brick divider pillar, then the outhouse opening on the right. Hope you get the picture.

Now....do I do this, then go to a upvc place with the opening measurements, and buy a upvc door and frame to fit the opening dimensions that im left with (I want oak upvc door and frame to match the oak upvc windows that were already in when I moved in).

Or....do I buy the door and frame first, then get a brickie to make the opening suit the dimensions of the door and frame?

The opening now with the old knackered wooden combination/double frame still in place
Is 880-890mm wide, and 2140-2150 high, brick to brick.
P.s. thats the measurement for just the back door side. So I imagine if I got it bricked up as I said, theyll be roughly the same dimensions for the opening for the new door n frame want to put in. Do upvc door and frames come in standard sizes or will I have to measure my opening and get one made to fit?
My plan is to do the back door side in upvc and then the outhouse side ill just construct a wooden door and frame, itll only end up with a cheap dryer and brooms n mop buckets etc in there.

Sponsored Links
theyre all made to measure anyway unless you go to bnq etc. go to a few frame fabricators with your sizes and get a few prices, most places will be helpfull and in some cases cheap

Get all your masonry alterations done then get a upvc company out to measure and fit.

You can ask for supply only if you wish but only if you are uber-confident at fitting. Doors are one of the most difficult items to fit and if you bodge it you, forfeit any guarantees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back