Exterior paint falling off - repair now or wait?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Moved into a new place 3 months ago and the exterior paint is falling off the render in quite a few patches. The rain is going behind the paint where's falling off and soaking in behind it causing more to fall off.

The exterior is in pretty bad shape anyway, so will be looking at rerendering or external insulation but this won't happen until spring at the earliest.

My concern is that where the paint's falling off the rain is going behind it and soaking into the walls and I'd like to repaint the affected areas in the short term.

Question is - the wall is likely to be damp due to the amount of rain we've had. Is it is a good idea to remove all flaking paint and paint over now, or should I really leave this until the weather's better and keep watching the situation get worse?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dont do anything until you are ready to knock off the old render and float new surfaces. There are modern coatings available that dont need painting.

Any remedial painting that you do now would probably not take and/or lock the damp inside the render/masonry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back