External Render Paint - Paint to last?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im just about to paint the house again but this time rather than Sandtex I want to try something new. The Sandtex Smooth White only lasts around three years and then starts to look grubby. The next door neighbours all have a similar problem. I dont have the time to paint every few years now as I have a baby so want to try something that will hopefully last.

Its a rendered house - lumpy pebbbledash

Ive been looking at self cleaning and pilolite based paints - self cleaning seems a bit extreme but if they are good it maybe worth doing the front of the house in it at least.....but was also thinking of trying a piloite based paint maybe. Theres a fairly busy road outside and that does cause some residue.

Any thought on this one??? - its in a 1930s semi and Ive read that some paints dont allow walls to breath so that can cause problems.....its a minefield!

Perhaps Leyland Trueguard or Johnstones Weatershield will be worth a try???

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Anybody have any advice .....im still fancying the oil based piloite just for the front of the house but dont want to cause issues internally.....some recommend it and some dont when searching on here - its a tough one

Johnstone's Trade Stormshield products are good. I don't use the products any more (due to my location) but both their standard water based and pliolite masonry paints have proven their longevity to me in the past. I've never used it but, I hear good things from some old colleagues about their Silicone Masonry paint.

Pliolite will tend to stay cleaner for a while longer than standard masonry paint, but can be trickier to use in warm conditions, especially over large areas, because it can dry a bit too quickly.

Whatever brand and type you go for, use a trade version. You will need to dilute a water based trade paint to help with application, especially for a textured surface, but it will cover much better than a retail version (found in DIY stores).

Of the paints you mentioned, Sandtex would be my top pick, followed by Truguard and then (?Dulux?) Weathershield - all trade versions, of course! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back