External socket on a timber frame extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all
Can anyone advise me on this please? I would like to install an external socket for my garden but have just read that you can't install one on a timber framed extension as it would affect the water sealant in the wall (?)

Is this the case and is there a solution to get around this as the whole of the back of my house is timber build...

Can you only put an external socket onto brickwork?

Thanks for your help

BBee1

Sponsored Links
it was originally and I was advised to post it into building instead :) lol Oh well, it is in both forums so hopefully someone will be able to advise... :)

Not sure why you have been told that you cannot have a socket attached to your timber extension, with armoured cable and weatherproof sockets you can have power almost anywhere, I have two double sockets in my garden.

Sponsored Links
Hi Catlad

I was told that if you pierce the membrane then water can get in to the timber frame and cause possible rot. I did think it was a bit daft but wanted to check. I want to spur off a socket in the kitchen, through the wall and out to an exterior socket so it is a simple job and one I have done in a brick wall but not on a timber frame.

Thanks for your help.
BBee1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back