external wall damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a place and the survey came back with no issues on damp. It seems they were wrong.

After getting keys I noticed a smell near the stairs that was not there when viewing the property. It was occupied with a lot of things, so I could not observe the wall before. I checked the closet and found some yellow spots on the outer wall with a musty odour coming out.

The house is dated around 1930's and had cavity wall insulation done. On the outside there is a gutter from the rooftop which I suspect to be the cause. The lower part is cast iron and continues to plastic all the way to the top. I have not had the chance to observe with heavy rainfall yet, to check if leaking.

What should be my first steps to remedy this and who should I call to take a look?

Could this turn out to be an expensive job?

Some pics below

View media item 80831View media item 80832
View media item 80829View media item 80828View media item 80830
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back