extra wire in light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been replacing some light switches - nice simple task I thought until it came to replacing the two way light switch for the landing.

In the original switch, the red from the lighting circuit was not connected to anything and a separate piece of red wire was connecting two of the points (unfortunately I didn't note which ones). The rest of the wires were all connected in the traditional way. I replaced the switch and just wired as should be with the live connected and not using the separate wire.

In the second switch in addition to the wires from the switch cable there is also an additional black wire connected to the COM terminal.

With this second black wire disconnected nothing works, when it is connected the lights switch on and off but aren't working properly. they do something like the following:
both switches in same position - light off
switch downstairs - light on
switch upstairs - light stays on
switch downstairs - light stays on
switch upstairs - light goes off

All a bit confusing.

Any advice on what might be happening and how to fix it appreciated

Sponsored Links
as you say "2 of the points", can we assume that one of the switches is a 2 gang switch?

with the com's linked?

pictures would help lots..

Thanks for the replies, i've taken some photos to see if it helps.

Downstairs switch

This was originally a double switch but one of the switches did nothing so I thought i would change to single switch.
Correction from first post - the Red wire that wasn't connected was the one from the two-way switch cable

upstairs switch

Each switch has inside COM, L1 and L2 terminals.
The original downstairs switch had 2 sets of terminals

Upstairs light

The switches also switch on a second light further along the landing, I presume these are a spur from the ceiling rose

thanks

Sponsored Links
Why didn't you just use your multimeter to identify which wires were which?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back