Extractor fan on Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I am having an electrician do all the wiring but I want to know what's possible/recommended for my needs.

I'm currently renovating my house and I have a small 80cm x 90cm stud wall room (utility closet) on the ground floor to house my heat pump tumble dryer, washing machine and AV equipment at the top on a shelf. AV equipment and appliances on separate circuits.

When the AV equipment or tumble dryer is on, that tiny room will heat up pretty quick so I'd like to be able to vent the heat out into the adjoining downstairs toilet rather than venting it outside.

I could either put an inline extractor in the ceiling space between the joists and put a vent in the ceiling of the utility closet and adjoining toilet, or I could simply mount an extractor on the adjoining wall.

My question is can I use any extractor along with a thermostat with cooling capabilities like this? : https://www.electricalworld.com/en/gb/Robus-White-Heating-Cooling-Indoor-Room-Thermostat/m-3151.aspx

Would a humidistat fan work with a thermostat so it's triggered by either humidity or temperature or must it be a simple on - off type fan?

I'd also like for it to be as quiet as possible so it's not so loud that I can hear 3 meters away whilst watching a movie.

What's the best solution here?

Some links to appropriate products would be great.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A modern extractor will make far, far less noise than a tumbledrier, and will be inaudible through a proper door (I use FD30 doors on bathrooms and WCs, but might be sensible anyway in a room full of unattended equipment). You should fit a linked fire detector in the equipment room.

And will use around 10W, so runs for 100 hours on one unit of electricity.

You could afford to run it constantly.

But a simple electromechanical thermostat will do the job.
Not all of them have a "turn on when hot" function.

Here is an example of a good-quality fan. It has a ball-bearing motor for long life and silence, and rubber mountings to absorb vibrations. Very good make.

Also sold under the Envirovent brand name (same company). Prices vary.

I don't believe you will benefit from the extra complication and cost of a timer or a humidity sensor.

You can buy a cheap one if you don't mind replacing it regularly.

Your WC will need an extractor fan so you could arrange ducting to suck from the equipment room. The door will have to be shut.

Will your fan blow straight through a hole in the wall, or will there be a lengthy duct? It makes a difference to which you choose.

Thank you John :)

We'll have a separate extractor fan on a timer to vent outside from the toilet when it's been used. The light will be on a sensor.

The stud wall between the downstairs toilet and the utility closet will be ~100mm thick. I want to blow the hot air into the downstairs toilet so we're not losing the heat we're generating. In winter, being able to have this warm air blow into the toilet will keep that space warm as there's no radiator in there currently. I'll fit a linked smoke alarm in there. The AV equipment certainly gives off enough heat to keep the small toilet warm :). Because both of these rooms will have doors fitted, it will create air pressure in the toilet. I guess this pressure will escape through the door and also the toilet's extractor vent.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I use a home made version of this 1694297965725.pngInkbird unit, mainly used for brewing but also use it for any other item needing a temporary thermostat, but the one you show would work.

However my heat pump dryer is in a small room and no real problem with over heating, it is the type that use the room air to condense the moisture, the type that use water to condense are OK in a small room, and the vented type are working like an extractor fan to start with.

The thermostat I show has a sensor so you can put it on the AV equipment, but the problem is if you suck air or blow air it has to be replaced some way, air will need to move in both directions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back