Extractor fan vents banging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We have an extractor fan in each of two bathrooms recently fitted by our plumber&electrician and when it is off, the slats of the fans bang back in the wind. This constant banging back is really noisy so I am looking for a way of reducing or eliminating this.

It is really cold here as we are in a very windy place, and so just removing the slats would make the bathrooms freezing cold!

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I had thought of putting some sort of pads or something on the slats but not sure where to start with this!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
is it the slats on the external grille that are banging in the wind, or some actually built into the fan?

If it is the external grille you could try changing it to a standard grille, and fit something like this in the ducting, but you may find you still get the same problem if you are in a very windy spot.

If you still have trouble then you will have to fit a fan with a built in electric shutter, such as an Aidelle Icon Fan. Vent axia do them too.

You could try an external fan cowl type, these also have either self-closing slats or a flap; and come in white or brown.
B&Q and Homebase etc. sell these.

Jaymack

Like this
p1849536_l.jpg

which is what I use. They have a single large flap under the cover and are somewhat protected from the wind. I live on the coast and it is quite windy.

I hate the ones with little flaps like venetian blinds, they're always rattling, and fall off in bad weather.

Sponsored Links
I've siliconed a couple of m10 bolts on the bottom of the flap in the past. This is sometimes just enough to stop the wind lifting the flap but not enough to prevent the fan opening it.

nstreet said:
I've siliconed a couple of m10 bolts on the bottom of the flap in the past. This is sometimes just enough to stop the wind lifting the flap but not enough to prevent the fan opening it.

This would increase the air resistance of the fan; and reduce the efficiency: - less air flow!

Jaymack

I've got the same problem with my kitchen extractor fan, even though the outlet is sheltered from the wind. I think it's as much to do with the flaps lifting due to the inbalance in air pressures inside and outside the house during strong/gusty winds as the wind actually lifting the flaps. I might try fitting one of the backdraft shutters mentioned earlier and see if this helps, but if it is air pressure imbalance causing the problem then it probably wouldn't help in my case.

During my more creative moments when my engineers head is on I've pondered over the idea of trying to cobble together something using a small solenoid acutator to actually hold the flaps shut when the fan isn't running. Should be easy enough to do in theory, but it's one of the many things I never seem to get around to doing....

SparkyMarky said:
During my more creative moments when my engineers head is on I've pondered over the idea of trying to cobble together something using a small solenoid acutator to actually hold the flaps shut when the fan isn't running. Should be easy enough to do in theory, but it's one of the many things I never seem to get around to doing....

There are already fans on the market with solenoid operated grilles, these only open when the fan is energised. You probably know that.

Jaymack

Jaymack said:
There are already fans on the market with solenoid operated grilles, these only open when the fan is energised. You probably know that.Jaymack

Mine's actually on a cooker hood outlet so I wouldn't need the fan, just the grille. I've seen the fans with built in automatic louvres, but never seen the louvre available as a stand alone item (although I wouldn't be surprised to learn that someone somewhere sells them!). I guess they'd be very similar in design/operation to the control dampers fitted to industrial/commercial building ventilation ductwork.

We had the same problem and cured it with small amounts of draught excluder strips. Cut a few small strips and stick them to each flap.

Works a treat!

I know it's about 2 years since this post was created, but to answer SparkyMark's question, you get Anti Back draught dampers on a certain on-line auction site. Clicky

I've got the same problem, but my hob pipe is blooming rectangular! Ggggrrrrr

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
have you got the sort with hanging flaps that look a bit like a venetian blind? they're rubbish, they always rattle annoyingly, and they fly off in strong winds.

I use the cowl vent with a single large flap, and a cowl to reduce wind effects and throw off rain.

Resurrecting this old thread,

But did anyone find a good solution to the problem?

I have the Venetian blind type vent, attached to an inline shower fan.

And see the suggestion is to use

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p18869

A cowled cover, did this stop the problem.

I still haven't worked out whether or not it's an air pressure imbalance or the wind lifting the baffles, or a bit of both.

Ideally an electronically controlled one would be great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back