Extractor fan via junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have just replaced a old cieling rose with a Ashley J501 16 Amp Downlighter Junction Box, i have a bathroom light connected to this. While i am in the loft i wanted to fit a centrifugal extractor fan and wanted to know if i could run the fan via the junction box .Or would i have to fit a double pole cieling switch .Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you can connect a fan to the JB, if you're OK with it coming on and off with the lights.

You should put a fan isolator between the JB and the fan.

Notifiable in E&W

Sponsored Links
Would it be ok to put the isolator in the loft ,rather than outside the bathroom wall if it is only to isolate for maintenence.

I am going to put a shower fan in the loft, would the isolator switch be ok adjacent to the fan in the loft. Thanks

isolator should be within site of the item it's isolating to prevent accidental energising of the equipment being worked on.. or have a suitable lock off device..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back