Extractor hood in chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're getting a new cooker installed next week after our old one finally became too much of hassle with no dials on the controls and major corrosion in the ovens (Came with the house, 15 years old. It's had a good life).

The previous owners never installed an extractor above the cooker and there are no opening windows in the kitchen so when we cook the whole house smells of food. Ace with bread, less so with curry. At present it looks like this:
qLvDusz.jpg

I'm not 100% sure if it's a true chimney breast, but it's current depth is 300mm. The slopey bits are just plaster board at any rate.
xe1PT5a.jpg

Currently the ceiling of the breast is a sheet of galvanised steel with LED lights recessed into it.
4nmDL64.jpg

The previous owner used galvanised steel instead of tiling the kitchen walls between the worktops. I actually quite like it, though the wife is less keen lol.

Anyway, I'm wanting to install an extractor. They way I see it I've got 2 options:

1. Buy an extractor hood and install that in the alcove. Cut away the slope bits and put new plaster board in to give it a 'flush'ish fit. This will extend the depth of the extractor area as at present it's about half of the depth of the cooker. It would be vented out the side of the chimney along the tops of the cupboards and out the nearest side wall.
What work would be required would depend on the hood used to ensure that it gets the correct separation between cooker and extractor.

2. Install an extractor into breast. I think this might require a bit more effort, but could potentially look better. The extractor would vent the same as above. This would probably look a bit better, but would have the disadvantage of reducing the depth of the extraction area.

I'll mention that I've got no intention of venting out the chimney (if it's a real chimney breast) as I can't see a way that it's not just going to fill it with grease and become a fire hazard.

If anyone has any advice on which option would be better. I know my limits, though. I'm happy knocking holes in plasterboard, but once we get to electrics or drilling through an extrenal wall, professionals will be getting involved.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm currently in the process of full renovation and I am going to be installing a inset extractor into the chimney breast, it will be pretty much hidden as I am also creating a lip at the front of the chimney breast like you have (although not slanted), I will also be venting out the side of the chimney and between ceiling/floorboard of room above which make complete sense as its a much shorter distance than going up the chimney itself and also removes the requirement of having to line the whole chimney to meet regs. I actually cut a 100mm hole in the wall this weekend only to find out they tend to actually be between 125mm - 150mm, doh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back