Extractor venting out of the roof - backdraft and rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have an extractor fan mounted on (or under.. hmm) the ceiling with venting going to a roof tile vent. I think it's been done wrong though as during heavy rain water comes in through the fan (even when it's switched off) and when it's not even particularly windy there's a nasty draft that comes into the room.

The roof has 3 venting tile things on it which were there before the bathroom was fitted, so I'm thinking they are for ventilating the roof space and they should not be used for an extractor. Would I be right?

Do I need to get a dedicated roof tile vent to pipe to? I noticed one on screwfix which has a collar that looks like it protects the fan from wind and rain. http://www.screwfix.com/p/glidevale-versa-tile-vent-grey/86667#

View media item 50691

Sponsored Links
Did the drips not stop when those two tiles were pulled back into position?

What is the pitch of the roof with the vents?

Thank you for replying. Nope, it drips really badly in heavy rain.

The roof pitch is roughly 15 degrees or so at the point where the vents are. It's less on the lower courses of tiles.

Very shallow pitch, I'm not a roofer but pretty sure you require a particular type of roof tile under 18 degree's, you may have tiles not up to the job.

Sponsored Links
You're right foxhole, the tiles (Marley Modern) aren't suitable for the roof. Could that cause backdraft and dripping problems with the vent though? It's freezing in the bathroom!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back