extractor wiring from junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
im trying to install a bathroom extractor fan outside my cubicle..its currently set to come on with the light switch....very annoying.
the lightiing circuit is on a junction box with both circuit cables,light cable and switch cable(and currently cable for fan) can i just disconnect from fan and go to a pull switch first then into fan.....meaning i have to pull switch before fan comes on?any help really appreciated

Sponsored Links
you can take a feed from the light to the pull cord then to the fan.

This will mean the fan will only operate when the switch is on, so it will not extract after you have turned it off.

The whole purpose of having the fan attached to the lighting switch is that, generally, you want the fan to run over for a period after you have left the bathroom in order to remove the moisture/smell in the air.

By getting rid of this function you willprobably see a growth of mildew begin quite quickly that will embed itself in the tile grout and cause paint/paper to begin to peel off, oh and the stench of No2's will linger for longer

i understand what your saying m8...but surely i can just leave the extractor running and turn light off,rather than leaving light with extractor running for a while...the fan hasdn`t got a timer or anything.

Yes you could, however if I was to make you run, for few hours, whilst whilst out at work all day wouldn't you become hot, tired and eventually have to stop??

We can all forget to turn things off.

What you could do is change the fan for one with a humidistat!!! Then you keep the benifit and loose the noise all the time!!!

Sponsored Links
if i take a spur from junction box do i take it from circuit L+N with 1.5mm cable to a FCU(3 amp)then 1.5mm to fan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back