Failed plastic costing on old cottage, what to do next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie to DIY not here.

I'm after an opinion regarding some rendering on an old cottage (1869). About 30 years ago my father in law was persuaded to apply a spray on coating to the house (('m not sure of the material but I think its some kind of plastic material. In the few years it started failing and the contractor surprise, surprise had disappeared!! To me it always looked like a bit of a mask and blast

The coating is now is very poor condition and is failing in multiple places, in one place it was accelerated by a leaking gutter that was left unmaintained. The question is where to go from here.

Do we try and patch it with the same kind of material or take the whole lot off and start again with traditional type render. I know in a few years we will need to sell the house and as things stand it will raise a lot of questions if it was put on the market

Attachments

• rend1.jpg
    rend1.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 36
  • rend2.jpg
    rend2.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 35
  • rend3.jpg
    rend3.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 28
  • rend4.jpg
    rend4.jpg
    878 KB · Views: 31
  • rend5.jpg
    rend5.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Not a render expert but it looks like the whole lot needs stripping

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back