Fan Assisted Cooker Not Getting Very Hot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice regarding our Whirlpool Cooker, model - AKZ 451?:cool:

My wife was cooking in it today and everything was working fine until the power switch for the oven tripped :confused: She had to flick the fuse back on at the main fuse box in order to get it working again, and ever since this happened the oven has not even reached half the temperature it should be?

Dont get me wrong, it is getting warm, just not hot. For example, I just had it set at 240 on the Fan/Thermoventilated setting, I left it for 15 minutes and just went to it and was able to touch the inside of the oven? :confused: Like I said, it was warm, just not 240 degrees warm? (Not even 120 degrees I would say)

Everything else is working. The fan is spinning, the grill is working, just half the heat?

I have searched on the internet but to no avail. The next step would be to ask you kind guys and girls for your help ;)

Looking at a picture of the circular heating element on the internet (link - http://www.4whirlpool.ie/cgi-bin/pr...47882&brand=&model=AKZ451/IX&path=47871,47882 ) It looks like it has 2 circular rings. Could it be one of them is broken which would mean a replacement is needed, or is that just rubbish? lol

Any help or advice would be most appreciated. If it is the non visable heating element (as above) is it easy enough for a very amateur person to do or should we call in the professionals?

Thanks in advance :p

Sponsored Links
You don't say what the indicator light is doing. Was the light still on after the 15 minutes or had it gone off. The fan oven element normally either works properly or not at all. I suppose it is possible that it has shorted to it's earthed outer sheath at some point and is completing the circuit that way. This could only be happening if the cooker circuit is not protected by an RCD in the consumer unit.

You don't say what the indicator light is doing. Was the light still on after the 15 minutes or had it gone off. The fan oven element normally either works properly or not at all. I suppose it is possible that it has shorted to it's earthed outer sheath at some point and is completing the circuit that way. This could only be happening if the cooker circuit is not protected by an RCD in the consumer unit.

Thanks for the response mate.

I dont understand what you mean by indicator light? As far as me and my wife is aware there is no indicator light? Everything on the display looks normal if thats what you mean? There is no indication of a problem, only other than it not getting as hot as it should be. The oven was still on after 15 minutes and it didnt short out again or anything. It has only done that once as mentioned above.

I honestly cant answer whether the circuit is protected by an RCD in the consumer unit as I dont really know what that means either sorry :oops:

I guess you have answered my question regarding the heating element. I honestly didnt expect one ring to work and one ring not too but that would explain the heat problem if it did :rolleyes: What about the thermostat? Could that be broken?

Would you just recommend calling someone out to have a look at it?

Thanks again for your post mate :p :p

You could take off the panel at the back inside the oven cavity and have a look at the element. Often when they go they split or have holes in the outer sheath so you can confirm it has failed. There is usually a red or orange light that goes off when the oven is up to temperature. If that light is not coming on or is going off before the set temperature is reached it suggests a faulty thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again mate, most appreciated.

I will take a look at the element tomorrow for any signs of damage or holes:cool: Probably abit late to go banging around the kitchen now.

You mention the red or orange light and I now understand what you mean, but our oven hasnt got one of those on. I suppose we just have to take it that after a 10 mins or so it has sufficiently warmed to the correct temperature :confused: (Well thats what it says in the very small manual)

Maybe I will just have to call someone out to have a look at it. First job to look at the element tomorrow though.

Thanks again for your help mate, most appreciated:cool:

Strange, I've never seen one without an indicator light for the oven. :confused:

Strange, I've never seen one without an indicator light for the oven. :confused:

Maybe there is one :oops: I must admit to just knowing how to turn the oven on and setting it to a certain temperature! I have never noticed an indicator light!

Anyway, it is a quick post to thank you for your help again and just to let you know we had someone come and look at it today and it was the heating element. Luckily he had one with him and fitted it no problems:cool:

Thanks again for your help mate :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back