Fan in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - need to replace fan pull switch in bathroom. It does not operate any lights, just the fan but is on the lighting circuit.
Out of the ceiling come three grey wires each containing a red, a black, and an earth.
On the old switch there was two red that went into one terminal. Two black that went into another, then the remaining red and black wires went into a terminal each. We then had the earths.
I bought a 1 way pull switch which didn't have enough terminals and changed this for a 2 way switch which had 4 terminals and the earth, this doesn't seen right either. Can anyone tell me what kind of switch I need or give me any other advice which would help me.
Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a double pole switch.

Single pole switches have 2 terminals, and make / break the live connection only.

2 way switches have three terminals, and switch the live to connect to either of the two outputs alternately

2 way intermediate switches have 4 terminals, and connect A to C, B to D in one position, and A to D, B to C in the other. Use one of these, and it might well go BANG!!

Double pole switches like the one you are replacing have four terminals, and make or break both the live and neutral connections simultaneously.

If there is no need to isolate the neutral connection, you may be able to use the switch you have by connecting all 3 black wires together in a piece of choc bloc, connect the 2 reds that were together in one terminal (usually marked 'C' or 'L' ) and the single red in one of the others (usually 'L1')

Double pole switching is usually specified if there is a need to safely isolate the fan for maintenance, but you need to leave the lights working so you can see what you are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back