Fan Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a (mechanically) worn-out bathroom ceiling fan - a straightforward like-for-like replacement. The fan is not a timer type and is wired into the (5 amp MCB) lighting circuit in the usual way via a three-pole isolator (only 2 poles used). There is no separate fuse for the fan circuit but the manufacturers stipulate the fan should be protected by a 3 amp fuse.
Is this normal? The circuits in the wiki show no separate fuse although most of the small bathroom fans I looked at require 3 amp max circuit.
What should I do?

Hughie

Sponsored Links
As you are only switching two poles, replace the 3 pole isolator for a 13A DP switched fused connection unit with a 3A fuse in it. Manufacturers do sometimes specify a 3A fuse.

I did consider that but would the change to the wiring make the job notifiable under Part P?
Also it is not my house but belongs to ageing in-laws and a straight swap would put the FCU would be about 7 feet off the floor which is not good for elderly folk.

But that switch/FCU is only there to isolate the fan for maintenance so they should not need to touch it.

I would say this work is not notifiable as its a maintenance replacement. You could "accidentally" break the 3 pole isolator and replace it with a 3A fcu if you really wanted to! ;)

Sponsored Links
manufacturers only refer to a 3amp fuse in case you feed it from a FCU..
the 2 fuse sizes available are 13A and 3A, so they stipulate 3A to save having to put 1.5mm cables internally...

before anyone points out 5A fuses, they are a non standard size and are not recognised..

manufacturers only refer to a 3amp fuse in case you feed it from a FCU..
the 2 fuse sizes available are 13A and 3A, so they stipulate 3A to save having to put 1.5mm cables internally...

before anyone points out 5A fuses, they are a non standard size and are not recognised..

Although I would have agreed with ColJack a few months ago someone else had same problem and rang manufacture who said a 3A fuse was required which in their case was real problem as it also had run-on and BAS did a circuit showing use of duel pole light switch.

So I would replace isolator with a switched spur this also means if the fan goes faulty the fuse should blow before the whole lights fuse although when MCB's are used unlikely this will happen in practice.

I have never phoned manufacture myself and I will admit I was some what surprised when they reported the reply.

Personally in my own house I would not worry and I would just change and take the chance if it goes faulty I may not get replacement under guarantee.

Thanks all - I think I will go with the FCU, though Ericmark's idea is tempting too. H

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back