Fascia board around my garage needs painting..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The black paint on the fascia board of my garage needs painting as it's starting to flake off. However, before I repaint it I'd like to know the following:

1) Once I've removed the flaking paint I'd like to put some sort of clear wood sealant/protector on it - what can I use ?

2) Once I've sealed/protected the wood, what type of paint should I use - ordinary Matt ?

Thanks in advance for any help. :confused:

Sponsored Links
1) Forget the wood sealer...the fascia doesnt need it and it could cause problems with subsequent coatings.

2) What you need to do is this..

Once you have removed all the old paint, sand the board down.

Apply knotting solution to any bare knots or resinous areas...the heat from the stripping will have re activated the resin, so it will need sealing.

Prime the wood with oil based wood primer..you may need to thin this slightly.....

Sand again to removing the furing of the grain

Give it one coat of undercoat

Two coats of gloss...gloss is more flexible than a matt finish (which shouldnt be used on an outside) and will cope with the constant expansion and contraction of the wood.

Thanks, Zampa. I know what I'm going to be doing then, in a couple of weeks time (weather permitting). :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back