Fascia Board Replacment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can offer me some sound advice please.

I have to replace a fascia board on an old roof. I have started to pull away the old board only to find that the bottom row of roof tiles have been nailed to the top side of the fascia i.e. where the fascia and the roof tile meet.

So as I try to remove the old fascia, the tiles want to come along with it too. Not what i want to happen at all.

Can anyone offer some advice as to what i should do? Can I just try to cut the nail holding down the tiles?
Is this nailing to the fascia board standard practice? I am asking because I need to know whether I need to replace it like that again or not.

Thank you to who ever can offer some advice and experienced application.

Looking forward to an urgent reply.

Roger Dell'Erba

Sponsored Links
What tiles are they?

If, as I suspect, they are Plain tiles then it is probably the bottom (eaves) course that are fixed to the fascia.

This is not normal practice but there are occasions when a tiler might 'cheat'

Sometimes the first eave tile is replaced by a normal length tile laid sideways and nailed through the nail hole into the fascia, this is done to give an 'eave and a half' to stagger the bond.

If the tiler didn't have any eaves he may have cut down ordinary tiles, turned them upside down and nailed through to the fascia.

This explains what may have happened but is only conjecture of course

Dear Roofer

Thanks for your reply.

-Yes these are plain tiles. Very flat and thin.

-Yes it tis the bottom course, actually the under lapping tiles that are nailed and again

-Yes, the do seem to be placed side ways, I say this because they look longer than the over lapping tile.

and I think in some places he did as you say, turned them upside down and nailed them through the fascia.

How would I remove this fascia then without causing any damage to the tiles?

I just thought of lifting the course just enough, With a wedge, and cutting the nail through with a hack saw.
Would that work?

My one concern with this idea is that i might leave the bottom under lapping tile floating.

I suspect I would have to re in act the nailing to the fascia again, is that right.

Thanks again for your kind help.

Looking forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Roger

It's a bigger job than you originally thought.

You won't be able to cut the nails off as that's the only thing holding the tiles in place!

The bottom 2 or 3 courses will need to be removed, an eaves batten (if required) fixed in place, and new eave tiles purchased and nailed to batten then the tiles relaid.

It may be better if you get a good roofer in.

Sponsored Links
Dear Roofer

Thank you for you kind, helpful and prompt reply.

I will get someone in to have a look and carry out the necessary job of removing and replacing the tiles.

Go well

Roger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back