Faulty Aprtment Intercom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help me.

I live in a small apartment block which uses an intercom system for door entry. The building is around 8-10 years old.

Recently the 'receiver' volume on my intercom phone is not working. I can hear them through the phone, and i'm able to buzz them in, but they cant hear me.

Can someone please help me with ideas on what this could be? I am sure it is a very common issue and I'd rather save myself some money and fix it myself please?

The Management Company are being awkward and saying the fault is internal so I am liable for costs to fix.

Thanks,

Lucy

Sponsored Links
If they can't hear you its your microphone or circuit that's at fault. There is likely to be an amplifier after the mic. and before the line runs out to front door. If its a simplex circuit (you need to press a button to talk), then it could be a bad contact on the switch. What to do?, try to find the phones circuit from the net, any one who can mend the phone will need this. Find an electronic hobbyist who could look at it. See how much a replacement unit is (internet), could be as low as £20 then change the unit, just make a note of where the wires go before removing the old unit.
Frank

if everyone else's handset works then it's probably either a broken wire, or the microphone capsule has gone faulty. A lot of intercoms still use carbon transmitters which can fail open circuit.

Post picture of handset.

Hi,

Thank you both so much for your replies, however I am a lady and I am very confused when it comes to technical things like this. Typical single woman!

So, correct, it seems to be only mine that is not working, and I can hear them speak when I pick up the phone, but they cant hear me. The buzzer still works.

I took a look at it last night, 'pushed' a few wires around, ha, and nothing was obviously loose etc.

I couldn't see an obvious make/model. On the phone it says BPT and on the unit by the front communal door it says Targ-ha-bpt...... Any use?

Help?

Thanks,

Lucy

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the BPT Targha range of entry panels can be connected to (at least) 3 different BTP systems, so it's not conclusive what you've got

Can you identify your handset from one of the BPT ones listed at

http://www.intercomsrus.com/intercom_handset_finder_tool.htm

If you can pop the cover off the handset base unit and see what terminals are inside that would be even more helpful...

Sorry, hit the send button too early.

The reason I am confused as to what model it is, i'm at work right now so not at home to check.

But, I do know it is very identical to the BPT YC200 or the fake version. However, my phone has the imprint BPT on the front of the phone, whereas the fake version doesn't, which is good.

Hope this helps

Post picture of the inside of the handset as the yc200 and 300 look the same on the outside ! Just one other thing to check if they can't here you at the entrance station , go and press your button outside .... Do you get the ring tone when you press your button ? If not the speaker outside my be faulty

Hi,

Back home now so I've uploaded a picture of the phone. However, having taken off the from cover, it does confirm it's a Y200.

I've also tested the front entrance buzzer, and you are right, the sound has gone. Usually when you press a door number, it buzzes inside the flat (which works) but it also buzzes on the front entrance system. There isn't any sound.

Would this mean it's not my liability (blooming management company where passing the buck on me)

Thanks

just to check again - is it only your flat that doesn't have speech to the panel (or call-tone return), or everyone's?

Hi,

No, its not only that doesn't have speech on the panel, I know of 2 more..... not sure about everyone though.....

Still Inconclusive??

Lucy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back