faulty double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may have a problem with the flat I purchased earlier this year & I would like some advice on how to proceed.

I've recently noticed that the brick work above the main bedroom double-glazed window has started to dip slightly in the middle. In talking to the neighbour about this, who had also noticed this, it transpires that the vendor did actually replace this entire window at some point between when I made my offer, & when I moved in. They also told me the company who did the installation. It seems that the installation is faulty, & may need rectifying.

A few points to note:

The vendor hasn't been entirely honest on his 'Seller's property information form' as in response to the double glazing installation question, his response was these were installed "some time ago". I'm sure he would have known the exact date of installation for this window, even if the others were too far back to recall.

There should have been some paperwork passed onto me regarding a guarantee & FENSA certificate. Despite repeated requests from my solicitor for guarantees or FENSA certificates, or even an acknowledgement from the vendor that he had none, we received no replies whatsoever.

Maybe there wasn't a FENSA certificate issued, in which case what are the implications of this? (e.g. is he in breach of the law, or am I in breach of the law, especially if I come to resell?) Is this particularly important?

I'm obviously not happy about this situation, especially looking back at the vendor & his solicitor's seeming avoidance to answer the questions about the double glazing. It strikes me that I should have recourse to a guarantee which unfortuanately isn't in my possession, although I would be rather unconfident that the installation company would do a better job the 2nd time around. If it needs replacing then I'd like to be sure it was a reputable company going to do it.

I'm unsure of my course of action.

Is this something for a solicitor to take up?
Should I be getting a surveyor to assess the situation, especially as my concern is it may do structural damage to the whole building if nothing is done about it?
Should I be talking to my home insurers? They don't seem to mention double glazing anywhere in their buildings or contents sections. But the legal insurance does mention they will pay towards the cost of legal help for faulty double glazing.

Should I approach the firm who installed it, & ask them to check their records, or come & view the faulty window?

It is now almost a year since I put my offer in on the flat, therefore if there was a guarantee, & it was only a year, then it could well be up soon.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I can't help you on the legal condition but if you look carefully on your double glazing,the two glass panes have a spacer bar which keeps the two glass separated and on the spacer bar there will be date printed on it when it was manufacter (usually in the corner).Normally the double glazing company come with a 10 years warranty,therefore you can get the company back in,before you do check what warranty do they have before explaining your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back