Faulty Immersion Fused Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with the fused switch for my immersion heater.

The switch is in the airing cupboard close to the hot water tank, and appears to be stuck in the on position, however the neon light is not illuminated.

The main reason I noticed this was because our electricity bills have been pretty high, and it occurred to me that the immersion could be what's doing it. We haven't really used it since we moved in a year ago, so have barely looked at the switch until now, so I would doubt it's failed from over-use.

Essentially what I guess I'm asking is that if the switch is stuck in the on position, but the neon is not lit, is it most likely that the electricity is getting through, and powering the immersion, or not?

Sponsored Links
The neon could be faulty. Can you find out what fuse in your consumer unit is supplying it and turn this off. I take it this is only back up to a gas boiler heating it?

you can easily find out if the immersion is stuck on

1) the water will be hot even if your boiler is turned off

2) if you look at your electricity meter, you will observe it turning steadily when the water is being heated, and it will slow down when you turn off the immersion heater circuit in your consumer unit (assuming it has switch-like MCBs. If it has removable fuses you must not remove them under load, you have to turn off the main switch, remove the fuse, then turn the main switch back on)

the immersion heater switch can easily be replaced. If as you say it is a fused switch then you can (after turning off the circuit) take the fuse out of it which will stop the immersion heater running.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back