faulty meter

Hi Everyone

Apologies for hijacking the thread. going back on topic :D

If you've checked for neutral and live on circuits and the current through both is almost the same, how can there be an earth leak? Going by logic I would say in my total numptyness that the most likely place for an earth leak is somewhere between the meter and the earth sheath, so before the CU or somewhere within the CU before any RCD's etc.

but thats going by logic so may be wrong!

Lorraine

Sponsored Links
lorraine said:
Hi Everyone

Apologies for hijacking the thread. going back on topic :D

If you've checked for neutral and live on circuits and the current through both is almost the same, how can there be an earth leak? Going by logic I would say in my total numptyness that the most likely place for an earth leak is somewhere between the meter and the earth sheath, so before the CU or somewhere within the CU before any RCD's etc.

but thats going by logic so may be wrong!

Lorraine

still aint found the problem. have tested insulation and everything is OK (lowest readng was 800M). thing is, they asked us to take meter readings every 24 hours.... 17 day 1, 15 day 2. they say weve used 3000 in the last month, which is 100 units per day. unlikely

silly question: have you x-refereced the meter reading they wrote on your bill with what the meter actually says? it wouldn't be suprising if some meter reading numpty didn't read the meter properly.

slippyr4 said:
silly question: have you x-refereced the meter reading they wrote on your bill with what the meter actually says? it wouldn't be suprising if some meter reading numpty didn't read the meter properly.

i havent actually checked for that... ill have a look for the bills now and see what its like

EDIT: have checked and its currently 200 units higher than bill but im not sure when the meter got read

Sponsored Links
quick update: after loads of testing for faults etc.... it turns out then npower has ****ed up big time which is why the bills are so high....

andrew2022 said:
quick update: after loads of testing for faults etc.... it turns out then npower has **** up big time which is why the bills are so high....
Can you tell us what they did?

Cheers,

Howard

HDRW said:
andrew2022 said:
quick update: after loads of testing for faults etc.... it turns out then npower has **** up big time which is why the bills are so high....
Can you tell us what they did?

Cheers,

Howard
long story. 18 month long...

basically, they charged us monthy for the last 6 month for power used. then we got another montly bill for 3000 units. after lengthly phone call etc we finally found out that the bill was actually power used from jan 05-aug05. even tho we have paid monthly all this year. its all because of mistakes made when we went to DD in jan 04

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back