Feature Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to paint a feature wall with Period Flat Matt Paint which is a dark green. It is a complicated wall involving a high narrow window and also a pale marble fireplace. I am no spring chicken and plan to paint with a paint brush at my own pace, which would involve doing different sections on different days.

Using the same can of paint, would that make a difference in colour variation from doing different sections of wall at different times?

Sponsored Links
As long as you mix the can well each time before use there shouldn't be any difference between the shades from when you first started to finished. The only thing that might make a difference is if you end up doing more than one coat in certain areas or joining the newly painted section to the previous one. Try to do one wall at a time or the outside edges first or something like that. Breaking it down into sections and using a roller should help speed up the process.

Also keep in mind that the freshly painted walls will probably look darker due to being wet but should dry to match the previous walls. Also the light will make each wall seem a slightly different shade anyway

Many thanks, I see what you mean about overlap. I can do it in three goes I think and will map these carefully so as not to overlap if possible. I intend to use a paintbrush because I know if I use a roller I make more mess and go on too long and far because I don't want to wash it out - a job I hate! I can put down a paintbrush whenever I feel I have had enough!

If I haven't finished with a roller and tray (and sometimes brushes when I'm lazy) I just wrap them in clingfilm which stops them from drying out. I just give the roller a fresh dip in paint and a good roll in the tray to make sure there's no dry bits/lumps when I use it the next day.

Sponsored Links
Well I didn't know that and will certainly give it a try. Dark green is a dreadful colour to have to wash out each roller use on a job. Many thanks.

like previous fire roller and tray and brush into a plastic bag and tie a knot can work several days like that no probs

As we are on the subject of paint, I did some touchups from this two thirds full can of Crown Period Paint and on heavily replacing the cap, the bottom of the can buckled and split and a huge dollop of paint landed on my kitchen mat before I had the presence of mind to turn the gash upwards. This almost full can is now decanted into a kitchen container and sealed with duct tape. Has anyone else experienced this with newer paint cans? Should I tell Crown what happened - might get a free can!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back