Feed And Expansion Tank Loosing Water?

Have checked all rads bar one in the spare room as cannot get the bleed valve open and all radiators are ok.

Not sure if the below is going to help but..

I am going to run the ch system for a few hours this afternoon and I have pushed the pump up to setting 3 hopefully getting more air out of the system if there is any left in it and keep monitoring the level in the F&E tank.

I have isolated the vent pipe for the hwcylinder into a small bucket to monitor if any water is going into the cw storage tank from the F&E tank if the coil had gone just incase.

If you h/w cylinder coil has gone then your f&e tank would overflow - not lose water,

Penny has finally dropped for me now I understand that if the coil had gone the water would be going into the F&E tank as the pressure would be greater.

If it's not air where is the water going??? I am looking at ripping up floorboards tommorrow if it still drops tonight.

Thanks to all for your help to this point.

Sponsored Links
i thought you also said.

(It does pump over quite a bit and the water is quite hot steam when I open the lid to check it(if the heating or hot water is called).

i thought you also said.

(It does pump over quite a bit and the water is quite hot steam when I open the lid to check it(if the heating or hot water is called).

By pump over I mean when the heating or hot water is switched on and the pump runs water comes out of the vent when it is hot over the F&E tank which then heats up the water in the tank. The pump has been set at two since I moved in and never adjusted it until today.

The water in the F&E tank is fairly clear with a dark tinge but as I have recently filled the system after coming back off hols and finding it empty it has had fresh water in it so I had expected it to be clear.

A couple of rads have cold spots indicating build up this is obviously a problem from when the system was put in or the way it has been configured which will need sorting.

But the current issue is seperate as water is still disspearing but cannot find where my main concern is that the water from the ch system was getting into the same supply that we use for hot water which we wash in and do any cleaning with.

Had the carpets upstairs up in all three rooms and the landing cannot see any leak patches aswell.

Lee

I have isolated the vent pipe for the hwcylinder into a small bucket to monitor if any water is going into the cw storage tank from the F&E tank if the coil had gone just incase.

'isolated the vent pipe' what ever you do do not cap off the vent pipe!! you shoulnt have anything come out of the vent pipe off the h/w cylinder anyway regardless of split coils and heights of tanks,

Sponsored Links
As it is pumping over from the vent pipe, it will have got corrosion sediment in it, and some kind of sediment blockage probably causing the pumping over. This is a good time to add a litre of Sentinel X400 sediment-loosener chemical into the system, it will cost you about £15 at most DIY sheds or plumbers merchants (don't buy a substitute)

It is non-acidic and non-aggressive, and is very good at loosening old sludgy sediment. You will know it is working when the water goes jet black with loosened iron oxide sediment.

You can leave it in for 4 weeks of normal use before draining it and rinsing, this will remove the sediment it has loosened.

If you call BG in before you have removed the sediment, if it is still pumping over, they will charge you £500 or so to flush it out (this is not covered by your contract) and will say that if you don't accept, they will not cover further problems caused by the sediment and blockage.

The corrosion sediment, blockage and pumping-over are separate from your leakage problem, except that the leakage may be due to pin-hole corrosion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back