Feed and expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to add some radiators to the attic room of a house .Their location will be above the existing F&E tank.
1.I have to have a feed tank above the highest radiator.What size tank will need to supplement the system?
2.Will it be necessary to move the existing F&E tank?The existing tank will permit the venting to take place from the current rads but will I have to vent into the higher tank ?

3.Given the boiler is 26 years old would the installation of a Vaillant combi be more sensible?

Sponsored Links
Stop.....

You need only one header tank, and it needs to be at least 1 metre - ideally 2 above the highest point of the heating system.

As for question 3 - we need more info.

I wish to add some radiators to the attic room of a house .Their location will be above the existing F&E tank.
1.I have to have a feed tank above the highest radiator.What size tank will need to supplement the system?
2.Will it be necessary to move the existing F&E tank?The existing tank will permit the venting to take place from the current rads but will I have to vent into the higher tank ?

3.Given the boiler is 26 years old would the installation of a Vaillant combi be more sensible?
! and 2 have been answered, 3 can be answered easily, your boiler is only 65% efficient, and has 3 parts that need replacing, the gas valve the thermocouple, and the igniter for pilot ignition.Ant new boiler will cost at least £1200 to fit and will last 10-15 years. the gas you save will be 1/4 - 1/3 of your present gas bill/year, You wont save a minimum of £150/yr for the next 10 yrs with a new boiler, Keep the old one until the cast iron heat exchanger leaks.
Get yourself a programmable wireless room stat and save £50 approx per year on your heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back