Feed to a towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to feed a towel rail from the TOP, with the pipes going into the ceiling? (It would be above a bath so prety high anyway, and with the boiler above the ceiling) Would I need a bleed valve in the pipework at the highest point above the rail?

Sponsored Links
if the header tank is high enough or its a sealed system you can feed from above .if you run the pipes down the wall from above to feed the rad from the bottom connections

With feed and return both at the top, the heated water will just whizz straight across the top rung and up the return without heating the rest of the rad.

Adding a long 'dip tube', like old single entry valves, reaching from the top almost to the bottom inside each side rail might work, but no guarantees - Plus you would have a problem of how to bleed air from the rad. when there's nowhere left to put a bleed valve.

A single small hole at the top of each internal dip tube, made with, say, a No. 60 drill may answer that one.

Just thinking out loud here - I've never tried it, and I don't know anybody that has, but it sounds like it might work....

Sponsored Links
Ahhhh I knew there had to be a reason I'd not seen this done! I'll probably end up hacking plasterboard off to get this done right. Blindingly obvious now i think about it too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back