female f connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two queries if anybody gets a chance:
RJ45 telephone plugs. How are they connected onto the end of a cable. I know you use a crimp tool but how exactly is it done. Do you strip back a few mm of insulation first? Does it have to be flat telephone cable?

I want to fit a plug to coax (I think – haven’t seen it yet) cable but it’s not lit the one’s I’m used to that fit into a my video and back of tv. These are a screw type connector. I believe the wall socket is called a female f connector. But how do I fit a male plug to a length of coax.

Sponsored Links
if its phones you probablly mean RJ11 not RJ45 (RJ 45 is used for networks isdn and occasionally phones in structired cableing systems)

flat telephone cable is best for a RJ11 but other cables could probablly be fitted with care

you strip back the outer sheath but not the inner cores
then you make sure the wires go into the slots right (this takes more care if you are fitting round cat5 to an rj45)

then you drimp it and as the contacts are pressed into the plug they cut through the insulation and into the wire

F connectors are what are used with satellite and cable TV in the UK, and TV in general in the states.

They are not the best connector in the world, but are easy to fit.

A typical male F-connector: you strip back the outer sheath on the coax, leaving the wire braid and mylar film (provided you are using satellite-spec cable, otherwise you won't have the mylar) in tact.

Then, wrap this braid back around the outer sheath so it is wrapping clockwise as you look down from the cut end of the cable. trim back the foam/plastic around the centre conductor. Then you poke the conductor through the hole in the connector, and screw the connector onto the braid that you wrapped around the outer sheath.

There should be no braid or film visible outside the connector. The conductor itself provides connection.

You can buy better spec F connectors, especially from America.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back