fence etiquette?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the correct way to fit fence pannels?

should the "good" side face the neighbours or can I have the "good" side face me?

and for feather edge with arris rails do the rails go my side or theirs?

do you think it would be over kill to fit 2 arris rails back to back and featheredge both sides? ( better to fit 2 arris rails than a square rail as water will run off the arris rails..)

Sponsored Links
it used to be true that the neighbours or theoutside if you live on a corener should get the nice side, but as you are paying a lot have what you want.

I had my fence installed about 3 years ago now with arris rails, both sides and the bottom of the garden, i have the nice side all round

thanks, that's what i thought..

they have the option of doing what i said and fitting another set of arris rails and featheredging their side if they want it to look good..

BTW, this is to replace standard pannels into concrete posts..
can i just put the arris rails into the grooves?

doubt it.

the grooves are desigend for fence panels not arris rails, i have one end one i can actualy see, it has a slot / tunnel, if you will going all the way through the actual post, the arris rail was cut to go in it. i was not here when they put it up, but the way it looks like it was done was to fit post 1, put arris rails in, fit post 2 and put arris rails in it then concrete post 2 in position, so once in arris rails can not come out.

there is /was an arris rail support, but not too sure if they would work drilling iinto reinforced concrete posts

Sponsored Links
You can put arris rails into slotted concrete posts, you need a way of holding them straight while you fix enough featheredge to hold them. Lengths of batten in the slots will do, or a couple of helpers..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back