Fence Post Type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to constuct a closeboard fence along the boundary of my garden, replacing a worn out, old nasty fence.

I am currently thinking of putting 4X4 timber posts into the ground, in a concrete footing, using a layer of packed pebbles in the bottom to act as drainage. then filling the rest of the hole with concrete.

My thoughts are, that to avoid the issue of rotting, could I do this with concrete posts.

The main issue is that the fece will sit atop the boundary wall, so the posts will have to be offset to the line of the fence.

I know I can get morticed posts, but my second issue is that the level of the garden changes along its length, therefore the mortices in the posts would have to mach the height needed, over different height posts.
(I want the top of the fence to be level along the garden so the fence is 5 ft at the house and only 2.5ft at the end of the garden.)

Can I get a post and bracket arrangement whereby I can set the fixing height on the post for the rails?

The other thought I had was using a concrete spur and attaching the post to this, thus removing the chance of rotting in the post.

The ground is heavy clay/mudstone so drainage is a real issue for me.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks...

AndyC

Sponsored Links
To simplify my question a little...

I am looking for a concrete post, up to 3m length that I can set the height of the arris rails on.

I am looking at using 2x4 timbers as my rails.

Andy

I don't know anything about concrete posts, never used them, but another option would be good quality timber posts, they would last for decades

I don't know anything about concrete posts, never used them, but another option would be good quality timber posts, they would last for decades

Thanks, scbk, that was my original thought and will be the option I use, if there are no further takers for this post :)

Sponsored Links
The only other thing you could do is to use standard slotted concrete posts, but bolt a 2x2 timber into the slot (there are usually holes cast into the post).

Then you can fix your 2x4 wherever you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back