Fencing with concrete posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a 14m length of fence soon. I have good solid concrete posts with 3 slots for the rails, top middle and bottom.

The problem I have is that the posts are set quite low, so that the bottom rail is on the ground. Is there anything I can do to prevent the bottom rails rotting quickly as the old ones have done, without redoing the posts (which I definitely don't want to do!)

Also - I'd like to fit a gravel board this time (none at the moment) but cant see how. If I fix if to the bottom rail what do I fix the bottom of the boards to? Would concrete gravel boards be best?

Many thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

Sponsored Links
Concrete gravel boards are best.

You can use a 6-inch or a 12-inch gravel board and deduct that from the height of the boards or panels. 12-inch are better but very heavy to lug about.

How high off the ground is the lowest arris-rail hole, and, how many holes arethere? do your posts have slots, or are they just square with holes?

It is possible to fix a rail to a gravel board - I've made up some H-shaped steel clips - but there may be a better way.

My posts have slots shaped for the rail, horizontal face at the bottom, angled face at the top. The bottom rail is literally right on the ground in places.

If I used concrete gravel board it would completely cover the bottom rail and I guess that would make fixing the bottom of the boards even harder.

I was wondering about routing an corner out of the top of the gravel board and then sitting the bottom of the board on the lip and nailing through it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back