Fernox or other?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had some work done on my oil-fired central heating system (which involved draining and refilling it a few times). It's all back up and working now, and hopefully won't need any more work for some time. I'm planning to flush it with some Fernox F3 then put in some F1 protector, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the different brands available. I'm assuming it's a 'get what you pay for' situation; Fernox is more expensive than the "No Nonsense" brand, but is it much better?

I might also splash out on a Magna Clean thing if I'm feeling "flushed" (pun intended!).

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks!

- Paul[/i]

Sponsored Links
Use Fernox or Sentinel, and a Magnaclean is a great addition

The F3 is pretty weak.

If its very dirty then I would suggest Sentinel X800 for a quick job.

Tony

Sponsored Links
From what little I can find out online about Cal Chem (the manufacturer's website does not work) it seems to be a protector only, not a cleaner (in the same way as the Fernox one that you pour in, leave for a few days then drain down). From the colour of the water coming out of my system every time it was drained down (it's been drained 3 times in the past couple of months) it REALLY needs a clean out. Maybe I should use Fernox cleaner then Cal Chem inhibitor?

I used f3 with my new magnaclean on a vented system and didnt bring much ****e out. Maybe it was cleaner than youd expect ??

I might use x800 next time but ive heard magnacleans own cleaning chemical is pretty good.

I can cofirm Sentinel X800 is very good, you can have the system flushed reasonably well in a day. Once added to the system, run at maximum temperature and run each radiator individually for 15-20 minutes then drain down/rinse well until the water is clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back