Ferroli Optima 901 - Leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just moved into a new home. I've read the FAQ etc and I'll try to be as descriptive as possible an hopefully I can use a member's picture - if I can get it to post - forgive me but I am at work now so its all from memory and a poor one at that.

FerroliFlowmeter.gif

Boiler seems to work fine functionally, the hw + CH gets hot, pump, fan, timer etc (no room stat) all do their jobs. I've had the elec off to it as I took the housing panels off and had no trouble re-igniting.

So my problemos are:

1. Water is constantly dripping (could be almost classed as a flow) out of the external grey plastic pipe (not linked to a drain :eek:). Eases up when CH or HW is running. Is this normal or something to worry about?

2. I've noticed drops of water just above no.34 on the gland and runs down the pipe.

3. I've noticed drops of water around areas 8 & 12 with small amounts of water standing below but it is difficult to see where its coming from.

4. More standing water below areas 35 & 36 but my boiler is laid out slightly different as there is no pipe form the bottom of 36 as this is where I can see a droplet of water which could be coming from the top of 36, its difficult to see.

Other info.
After 3 days in the hows we did a big laundry wash, cleaned the house and stuff using lots of hot and cold water. The water flow for both the hot and cold was pretty bad in the kitchen sink for about half and hour at one stage and if I recall the prssure at the boiler dropped also to just about the red line (1bar I think). Everything continued to work and flow/ pressures came back after we had had our 'tea break'.

The strange thing is the 'leaks' only appear to occur when the boiler is cold(~20deg)/not heating the HW or CH. When the boiler is in use as in pumping the CH (bet 60-80deg) there is no signs of any droplets and standing water generally evaporates. No sure about just the HW running.

I get home form work and water has gathered in the bottom of the boiler housing, can see droplets of water in the positions above - put heating on and after an hour or so all evidence of water has gone. The bottom metal panel does have some rust, nothing major, suggesting that this has been happening for some time before I moved in

Always water coming out of the grey (overflow?)

I would think that the 'leaks' would get worse when pipes/ gaskets expand etc but the opposite is happening, perhaps the heat lets the pipes expand enough to seal them or is it the additional pressure that seal the leaks?????. I've read other posts about boiler pressure, valves and stuff but it doesn't mean much to me. I just want some advice of what the likely causes are and what my options are.

So any advice would be much apreciated - Oh while I remeber, the 'cold' boiler pressure is about ~1.25 bar (just abouve the red) and gets up to about ~2.5 when CH is running and at time the needle does go a bit manic between these 2 points.

I did bleed a rad and water came out straight away all be it a bit dirty.

Sponsored Links
The overflow you refer to is presumable the pressure release valve vent.

If the pressure is correct at about 1.5 Bar then the valve needs replacing.

But it sounds as if your boiler is in quite a state. Its already pretty old and should be replaced soon.

In the meantime it might be possible to do a repair but in view of the age it might be better to replace it now.

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony, soz about mine, been on holiday.

Resolved 2 leaks - glands were loose, so I put some of the PTFE tape on the threads and tightend.

You are correct it is the pressure release pipe and not the overflow *shakes head

Right now the Automatic Air Vent has water leaking from it when the system is cold and stops when hot and water also continues to run through the pipe. This seems to be the only problems and I guess must be related.

It seems really awkward to change the AAV and the presure Valve due to their positions. Is there a way I can fix/ maintain them 'in-situ' by depressurising the system using the pressure valve? Oh and why would water be leaking out of a 'Air Pressure Vent' anyway?

On the top of the AAV there is a small thread, like on a bicycle tube, is there supposed to be something on this.

I don't think the previous owner ever maintained the system as I've noticed that one of the Rads is cold in the middle at the bottom. Is the only way to get rid of sludge is by taking the rad off? Oh its a sealed system, no header tank that I am aware of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back