Fiat Punto Exhaust emission sky high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Punto exhaust emission is 7.5 in MOT test,
1999 Fiat Punto 1.2 60SX petrol
There is no engine management light coming on, does anyone know what it could be?

Sponsored Links
For starters change the air filter, fuel filter, oil & filter.
Check and / or change the spark plugs.
Clean the throttle body / carb with some carburettor cleaner.

That will get the emissions down relatively low cost. If it doesn't get them down enough, then there is another problem somewhere which needs looking at

The Lambda sensor going faulty can cause high emissions and doesn't always put the light on

But yours is so high I'd also suspect the CAT may be duff as well, but start with the lamda

Do you have any of the other figures off the MOT fail like HC or Lambda?

Lambda sensors are a common failure on these. Is the head gasket ok? The '60' FIRE engine fitted to your car has a habbit of blowing HG's if the water level is low.

I was in the market for one these a few years back, I looked at 6 and 2 of them had symptons of head gasket failure!

There is no carb on this car, it is a single point fuel injection unit made by Webber if I remember correctly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks neo, I am in the process for changing the oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs, fuel filter.

Thanks Nixdorfer I am also changing this lambda sensor.

Thanks joydivision, yes u are right it has no carb, and the HG is leaking, but the only thing I can say about the HG blown is that it has passed the emissions before with the HG blown so to save money it am going to do all of the above first then if all fails fix HG.

Maybe the CAT as last resort.

Do u guys know how to tweak the brain part which works with the lambda sensor?

the HG is leaking, but the only thing I can say about the HG blown is that it has passed the emissions before with the HG blown so to save money it am going to do all of the above first then if all fails fix HG.

You've been driving a car for a year with a blown head gasket :eek:

Yep, in fact as mentioned early, punto's seem to have this common fault. this i know alot about, i have been driving fiats for 25 years now and i have gone through 3.

I drove a fiat uno for 10 years with the same problem, just topped her up with a desert spoon full of oil every week and never give me much probs really , although the emission tests on MOTs in those days were not as strict.

hehe its like my Fiesta, it has a leaking clutch slave cylinder but I am just living with it, just nees fluid topping up every week. Been quoted £160 to fix it but as I have just paid £200 to get it through the MOT, £95 on two Kumho tyres I don't want to replace the clutch and slave cylinder just yet!

Joydivision or neo, or nixdorfer,

I am changing the spark plugs tonight on the punto

1999 SX60 1.2 8v

The auto parts shop gave me NGK R - DCPR8E-N sparks
I looked this up in the book and am not sure whether they spark are right for this model, i think the book tells me there for a 85 sporting.

Does this matter, can i put these plugs in anyway or do i need to get them changed?

Make sure the threads are the same length for starters, if they're longer don't put them in!
Have a look at the NGK or champion website, they usually have a list of compatible plug numbers etc

Changed plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, lambda senor.
raked the bottom out of the punto on the dual carriageway before I took her in and let her sitting tickn over for 10min before I went into the mot centre.

She passed with a nearly zero reading.
thanks to neo, nixdorfer and joydivision for your help.

hi how can i redus car emissons on a fiat punto 1.2 16v x reg exhaust emissions carbon monoxide at idle1.76 2nd fast idle excessive 0.956 lamba reading after 2nd fast idle outside specifide limits cant get all the propper redings ofgas analyser print out poor print out thanks allan

Sponsored Links
Back