Fiesta Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Fiesta is in fact a Courier van but i think the front, none central locking,door locks are both the same.The drivers door cannot be unlocked from outside,as it is i have to get in the pas side and unlock the drivers door from inside.
When i lock the drivers door using the key it works fine and i can feel slight resistance but when i turn it in the unlock direction it feels "limp" and wont unlock.
Ive had the door card off and a look at the mechanism but everything appears to be in order ???
Any ideas anyone ?
Any help much appreciated
tomi14robie

Sponsored Links
There are endless posts about Ford central locking issues on the site Tom, but in this case I suspect its actually the key itself......being made from cheese the wear rate is spectacularly high.
There used to be a plastic contact around the lock barrel too, which again often failed.
Do you have a good spare key? Ford dealers can fix you up with a new one - at some cost - but its worth trying the other option first!
John :)

Hi John,
thanks very much for your rapid reply,ive only had this van a few weeks and it only had 1 key,last week i was in Timpsons Shoe Shop and they had a offer on for half price key cutting and so i had one cut,£25,i thought that was reasonable,it does work ive checked it.
The problem is any wear will have been repeated during the key copying,do you think Ford could supply a key to original profile,maybee from Vin no.?
It could be costly if i purchased a new key and i still had the same problem,it is a problem i can live with but obviously it would be nice to work as it should.
At least my screen is demisting now in all this heavy rain thanks to your info,thanks again
tom :D

Tom, Ford should be able to cut you a key from the VIN, but they'd prefer the TX number...thats the code on the plastic tag which came with the original keys.
Is there a professional automotive locksmith near you? It could be worth tracking one down, just to save unnecessary expense, as I'm really only guessing here.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi John,
this van came to me with no plastic tag,just one key,i think i will concentrate on other projects,fitting a tow bar and looking for a pr.of rear doors as the current ones are unglazed and not very nice cosmetically .
On the whole i am very pleased with the van,it starts well,uses no oil,or very little and the main thing is its economical,i am pleased with its performance,i try to cruise the m ways at 65,thats sat nav speed,the speedo is reading 73,i trust the sat nav.
Thanks again for your help
tom :D

My car is actually a Courier van and is not fitted with central locking however this does not bother me as i read so many problems regarding Ford central locking.
I am slowly getting my van "sorted",today i fitted a new radio aerial,FOC from my local scrapyard.
I intend to "camperise" my van(one man),the Courier van is surprisingly roomy for a small van with car comfort.
tom

Hi, I'm a ford mechanic, grew up on these locks lol, have you got a spare key?
The problem is either a worn key( compare it to your spare) or most prob the tumbulars in the barrel, you buy repair kits for the locks, bit fidly,but you need the key number, it's either noted in hand book, a black tab is on the key ring with a 6 figure number on it, I can read the key by looking at the cuts if it's not to bad. If youre stuck put a close up pic up of the key and I'll tell you the key number.
You can try with a pen push the gate/flap of the lock open, squirt in wd40 to flush it then pump engine oil into it slowly working the lock... Any ford key will lock your door. Mine would but only yours will open it.

Hope this as helped some what.
Mike.

Hi Mikethefisherman,
i dont have the key tag or no.and the van didnt have any owners handbook with it,(ive bought one now),the spare key ive had cut(Timpsons half price offer £25,bargain) and so it will have the wear duplicated on my new key,I am new to computers and so iam not sure how to put a photo in a post,i will have to investigate that one.
It appears eveything in my favour is against me LOL.
Iam reluctant to try the wd freeing of method as i might end up with a lock i cant unlock !
I am considering fitting a heavy duty van lock that locks both rear doors together,there are some nice chrome ones on ebay.
The drivers door has a problem with the lock,it will lock with the key but wont unlock?!? i have to get in the van via the pass door,maybee this is also down to key wear ?
Even with a few minor problems i like the van,its got good speed and economy1.8 td di. a nice comfortable drive for an old van.
Thanks again for your advice its much appreciated
tom

Sponsored Links
Back