Filler nad painting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I am after some advice. Unfortunatly I have had to use some filler on my walls. I just want to know about sanding down the filler and how smooth does it need to be?

I know this probably sounds silly but I have sanded and sanded and the filler is smooth and even but when I run my fingers along it you can feel a very slight bump when going from the wall to the filler. I am using fine filler and fine sandpaper. If i sand lightly nothing happens and if i go to hard it rips chunks of filler out.

Now I will be using 2 coats of builders trade matt and 2 coats of dulux matt.

Sorry if this is a stupd question but i havent really used filler before.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If the walsl were painted before you might find that you can see the areas that you have sanded because they are flatter than the surrounding area...you say great chunck of filler come out...that could be down to the surface you have filled on...what was it?...or maybe the filler itself...was it leyland/mangers by any chance?

I am using polyfiller on plastered walls. The reason I need to filler is that there was some sort of lining papers left in places when it was plastered so a few bits bubbled up

Sponsored Links
Ah right......so have you cut the bubbled bits out first?...

You will probably need to re line the walls anyway because of the difference in the two surfaces..the new plaster and the existinf painted ling paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back