Filling and sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a stair gate I am fitting at home and we live in an old house so I needed to add some plastic spacers to the top to deal with the wall not being straight and skirting boards. Having tried to drill it last night, the plaster crumbled massively and the drill won't curt through a section of the brick. So I'm left with a hole about 3cm across and deep. What I'm after is advice on (a) what to fill it with and (b) what to use to fix the stair gate and spacer to the wall. What I'm thinking is actually using an adhesive to stick the plastic spacer (which is a tube 2.5cm long) to the wall and gluing the spacer to the stairgate (also plastic). It's at the bottom of the stairs and the bottom will be screwed to the wall so not all the force will be taken by this. What do people think? Is something like Gripfill (non solvent) or no more nails suitable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just glue a timber either side to match the thickness of the skirting then your gate should fit.

As an aside, possibly consider investing in a SDS drill if your current drill is unable to get past the plaster...

Hammer drills are pants in comparison.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back