Filling in hinge recess for flush hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should I fill the old hinge recess which had a butt hinge in with two part filler then screw in flush hinge over the top? Putting a flush hinge below looks tacky. As recess will be seen. Think flush hinge is appropriate for new door.

The old door was asbestos so I refused to take it
20220201_121813.jpg

20220201_125700.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why not use butt hinges again with the new door? Flush hinges offer little in the way of adjustment.

Why not use butt hinges again with the new door? Flush hinges offer little in the way of adjustment.
Already done it lol. Oh well. I thought be wrong to chop out on these slatted doors. Forget what they're called.

Also, It's a bit wide I'll plane both sides rather than just lock side. About 3mm to take off

Sponsored Links
It's called a louvre door

Flush hinges like these:

Flush Hinge.jpg

are screwed into the edge of the door meaning that they can pull-out over time in MDF and MFC doors. For those concealed hinges are better or cranked flush hinges

Concealed hinge holes can be plugged with these:

Hinge Hole Cover.jpg

Widely available.

I know you're a decorator. How long before two pax filler is hard enough to sand and drill into? Might go over it again

I know you're a decorator. How long before two pax filler is hard enough to sand and drill into? Might go over it again

The thicker the layer of two pack filler, the faster it cures (because of the heat generated). At 20 degrees C, I would wait 40 to 45 mins before sanding or drilling a thin layer. If 30 degrees, about 20 mins. More catalyst will increase curing and in most cases not cause any problems. The same cannot be said of epoxy resin fillers, if you get the mix wrong it can cause problems.

The thicker the layer of two pack filler, the faster it cures (because of the heat generated). At 20 degrees C, I would wait 40 to 45 mins before sanding or drilling a thin layer. If 30 degrees, about 20 mins. More catalyst will increase curing and in most cases not cause any problems. The same cannot be said of epoxy resin fillers, if you get the mix wrong it can cause problems.

Thxs. Didnt need to go over it again. And it had dried all night. I sanded it with Festool and rts sander using extractor 2mins. Came up a treat put screws into it.

There was some binding on final inch of closing Louvre door with the flush hinges. I suspect should have plane a leaning edge on hinge side

20220202_105836.jpg
20220202_143328.jpg

I see we are back to repeating everything..... again. Isn't it amazing what you can find if you use the search facility, and your brain? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back