Finding Strange Fittings - Large Bore.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Board!

A friend of mine is doing a very odd art project. Do not ask me. She needs some large bore copper tubing and fittings - like 75mm, 38mm 25mm tubing and fittings.

She came round for dinner on the weeknd and said she can't find any of it. So I've been to a few plumbers merchants locally and then did a search on the net. I can't find anything really. Is this sort of stuff actually available and in small quantities, or is she having a laugh?

Like I said, don't ask me what's in her mind - but i'd really like to help her find get some of this - if you can let me know if what we're looking for is around, then that'd be great - thanks!

Cheers,

Mr. Tickle.

Sponsored Links
You will get copper of these sizes but be prepared to pay a lot for the 3"(75mm) copper prices are rising daily $7000 a ton on the trade exchange. 38mm is inch and a half and 25mm is inch. Wholesalers will have the 28mm in stock and may have 40mm but 75mm would be a special order.

use it all the time.

depends what she want and how much

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I did mention that i thought China were buying all the copper for cable so she'd better be quick - i suppose if she can price it up before she starts, that would help.

The more 'remote' stuff she's after is: about 1-2ft of 3" tubing (I'm not sure if i should be searching for imp or met sizing - what do you recommend?). About 2metres of 2"/50mm tubing, a 3" to 2" reducer (? - like a cone type thing) and a whole list of elbows and tees.... like 2x2x1.5" elbow.

What do you reckon? Should i just go down my local merchant and beg and plead?

Cheers!

Mr. Tickle.

Sponsored Links
Some art is massively overpriced like that load of old bricks or that cow in formaldehyde.

In that case I think that she should be prepared to pay the going scrap price.

DIA uses these sizes regularly and if the artist goes to church in Bristol then maybe she might strike lucky!

tony

Well yeah, it's not that kind of art project. I think she wants to see if she can get all the parts that she needs and then buy it - but i guess if i know that she CAN get it, then she can go on a scrap finding mission.

So just scrap merchants and keep an eye out?

Mr. Tickle.

Up to 50mm ish (54 I thnk) should be available from a proper plumbers merchant. Fittings are of the order of £20 regardless of whether compression or solder types, strangely. "Pipeline Centre" is an obvious place to try on the web.
A scrap metal dealer near me "collects" plumbing bits in large sizes, because he knows how expensive they are. Might be worth a try !

Yorkex:
STANDARD FEATURES
• Cu-DHP grade copper
• BSi Kitemark licensed
• 6-54mm available in R250 (half-hard) condition,
suitable for cold bending and forming
• 35-159mm available in R290 (hard) condition
• Available in 3m or 6m lengths

Assuming cost is not important :LOL: the retail price of a 76mm Conex elbow is £292.00 :eek: a 67mm would be quite cheap at £148.00 or for a really Impressive £478.00 you could have a 108mm elbow :LOL: :LOL:

Plus VAT ;)

Copper tube price as a guide only so add 50% to allow for market fluctuations.

67mm £34.50 per metre.
76mm £48.50 per metre.
108mm £70.62 per metre.

Em wonder if that woman who thinks shes being ripped off is reading this :LOL: :LOL:

I've sold a couple of old HW cylinders to artists for the copper. The newer one was preferred because the sheet was much thinner!
They tell me you can solder the stuff - whatever next?

Are these elbows like the ones for smaller 22m (for instance) piping? Or are they big cast, heavy thick walled units?

I think that we are moving beyond the realms of possibility here - maybe Stainless Steel would be cheaper to source?

Thanks for your input guys.

Mr. Tickle.

Why not use plastic and electro-plate it?
BTW - that's a serious suggestion and technically quite easy. Large diameter plastic pipe and fittings are (relatively) cheap.

Are these elbows like the ones for smaller 22m (for instance) piping?

Yes! Thin things, but the quantity aspect makes them expensive. See Yorkex website

You can get "copper" spraypaint and copper foil of course, and cheap guttering/drain pipe...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back