Finishing an old wooden floor with splintering boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to finish an old floor that I think is parana pine. Most of the floor boards are in good condition but a few of them are splintering and peeling as you can see here:

I would really like to finish the floor with wax to make it easy to repair later scratches and to get a natural finish.

If I apply wax, will it cover and stick down the splinters? Or could I apply PVA before (or after) waxing?

I was thinking of using either Wickes floor wax or Osmo Polyx Oil. I'm on quite a tight budget.

Thank you,
Max

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have got a very similar dilemma and have narrowed it down to same two products?

I know it is while back which product did you end up going for and were you happy with the finish?

We have another problem added into the mix, we have new floor boards in our lounge and old floor boards in our hall and want the same colour and finish through out and therefore I am leaning towards wickes product as it comes light oak colour. Although I could use stain with osmo hardwax oil.

Any extra advice would be much appreciated.

In the end I used two coats of Osmo hardwax oil and the floor boards that were splintered and peeling were still very rough after applying the finish. I never found a solution I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back