Fire door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening!

I'm just working out a few details for a loft conversion, and I'm having trouble finding door frame dimensions. Could anyone tell me what the total width of a door frame will be for a 27" 30 min fire door? I've come across conflicting information, but it appears a standard door frame is sufficient so long as it has large enough stops and intumescent strips, is that correct?

It's all quite tight, I've got 1560mm to fit a door alongside a staircase, plus a stud wall in-between so I'll probably have a stair width of ~700mm, the door dimensions are pretty critical to maximise width! Thanks for any help :)

Sponsored Links
AFAIK the stop width is no longer critical. What is critical now is the gap between the frame and the door which should be about 2mm. You can go as narrow as 600mm for a loft stair BTW.

Also despite what the old farts will tell you on here, unless the stud wall is structural, it will still be robust with 50X50 studs rather than the proverbial 100X50's. A house I lived in once had partitions with 25X50 studs end on and 1 layer of board each side meaning the partitions were 50mm thick overall. You would never had known without measuring.

Invaluable as always Freddie :) reckon I'll go with 50mm studs, it's a pretty small wall anyway (2.0 x 2.0m triangle to box in the stairs). Anyone any idea on the total door width? Might just go out and buy a frame if not...

The doors you buy will determine the overall frame size. Either get metric or imperial sized ones to match if there are any existing doors in close proximity, otherwise just get ones to suit. Typical door frames are 32mm so take your door size + 2mm gap + 2mm gap + 32mm frame + 32mm frame + say 3mm tolerance each side gives you your structural opening. So for example if you went for 626mm door you end up with a structural opening of 700mm.

Door sizes: http://www.door-warehouse.co.uk/size_convert.htm remembering that fire doors are 44mm thick.

Sponsored Links
a 2"x 2" stud is ok o_O

If your going to give advice make sure it is advice which is correct.

to the op, its a stud wall ffs. should take you the best part of a day to get it completely finished. and thats with the skim and paint ;)

ill speak from exp when i come down your house when the riots for the working man kick off and im able to break your stud by standing rather close and thinking about your missus you daft sod.

as a chippy you would of learnt from day one to take in mind for other trades, but not take in mind to much ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back