Fire regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking for some advice.

I have a 1900 house with lat and plaster ceilings etc.
The wall between my bathroom and bedroom appears to be a partition wall with black dust that comes out when you drill into it. plaster on both sides with the bathroom ceramic tiled floor to ceiling.

We are looking at having some building work done. will the above wall construction satisfy the 30 minutes fire protection required?

Any ideas? :confused:

Sponsored Links
probably not, but you can't take my work for it, ask your BCO

You might get by by nailing another couple of layers of plasterboard to it, but I'd strip it all off and put up new plasterboard on the studs, with mineral-wool batts to reduce noise transmission.

edited
My mistake
Did you mean it's a L&P wall? If it's breeze blocks ( sort of lightweight coarse concrete block that makes black dust) plastered both sides, then it would be OK.

This is news to me.

First of all that internal walls in a normal domestic situation need to have half-hour fire protection.

And secondly that a 1900 house would expect to comply retrospectively.

Or am I reading this wrong?

Why would you need 30min fire protection between a bathroom and bedroom?

Sponsored Links
We are looking at having some building work done. will the above wall construction satisfy the 30 minutes fire protection required?

Unlikely, but I doubt you have fire doors on the rooms either.
Whether it falls prey to the building inspector will depend on what work you have done in each room. More info is needed....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back