Fireplace advice for first timer

D5T

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so obligatory "Hello".

Friend of mine has a fireplace that needs some work doing to it & I've offered to do it. I want to learn from it & hopefully I can, along with your great advice on here, have an end product that I'm proud of.

The chimmney has been swept and an anti-pigeon chimmney pot has been fitted already so everything above the fireplace is in good order which is good to know.

Within the fireplace the previous owners had very lazily run one of the central heating pipes. This was identified and made safe by a plumber friend sealing it properly and "cementing it in".

The fireplace does not have a fireback within and I'm pretty sure that the fireback protects the structural aspect of the breast?

Anyone care to offer good advice here?

I'm reading various pages about fitting a fireback involving firerope (expansion), various mentions of fire cement and filling behind the fireback with rubble? Any experienced voices would be welcomed greatly?

(I'll add some images when I return home tonight)

Sponsored Links
Better than rubble is a 8/1 vermiculite/ cement mix. Put some corrogated cardboard against the back of the fire back as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back