Fireplace Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Myself and my girlfriend recently opened up the fireplace on our 1930's house.

We intend to use this as an open fire to begin, and perhaps install a woodburner later.

A sweep has confirmed the chimney is sound.

At present, the base of the firebox is rough hardcore - I intend to patch this with sand and cement , and then pour in self levelling floor screed, to include the external hearth (300mm projection on the front), to a depth of around 30-40mm.

I will then tile this using some slate tiles, with a thickness of 10-15mm.

I have raked out the mortar from the bricks inside the firebox and re-mortared with a standard mix bag of sand a cement from a DIY store.

I will then stand a grate on the tiles in the firebox and use as an open fire.

Does this all sound satisfacrtory?

I've read about fire cement, but really not sure how and where this is applied.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What you propose sounds reasonable. However, there is a difference in detailing for an open solid fuel fire and a wood burning appliance.

For an open fire you typically require a one-piece back hearth, a fireback and a throating and damper arrangement.

Wood burning stoves have different requirements.

Did the sweep check the above and the c/stack and terminal. And did they sweep and smoke test the flue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back