Fireplace (wall/surround) removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm an absolute newbie at DIY (as I'm sure the following passage will tell), and I need help in understanding the work involved in the following:

The living room of the new house I bought has a gas heater mounted on a wall in the living room. The heater is mounted at what I'm assuming is called a fireplace surround (it is a protrusion of about 10 inches from the living room wall). There is no chimney.

As part of my redecoration plans, I want to get rid of that entire structure - the heater and the protruding wall.

1. Will I need planning permission for that?
2. I have been quoted about a £1000 pounds for the removal and subsequent restoration (plastering, flooring, etc). Is that reasonable?

Many Thanks
M

please note 9 ;)

Sponsored Links
get someone corgi registered to move your gas then get a plasterer to give you a price for making good, are you sure theres no chimney or vent.

Thanks jbonding

And thanks for pointing that one out admin, will remember it :)

Sponsored Links
manav said:
The living room of the new house I bought has a gas heater mounted on a wall in the living room. The heater is mounted at what I'm assuming is called a fireplace surround (it is a protrusion of about 10 inches from the living room wall). There is no chimney.

Could be a flueless appliance you have there. Check the Make/model number of iton the net or with manufacturer. If it is flueless you must have ventilation usually 50cm² at both high and low positions > Total 100cm².
If it isnt flueless and you do not have a chimney or flue then it could be an illegal and more to the point a dangerous installation. Get it checked out if you plan to use it in the meantime

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back