Fireplace - what options to make it look good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wondering what options do I have to make my fireplace look good? The slate tiles are cracked and the back the fireplace seems have a layer of cement ( and cracked) with some tiles on the side.

I am happy to keep the brick look inside the fireplace but I am wondering if the bricks are in too poor a condition to make good. The other option I can think of is plastering the whole opening so it is clean and tidy. What options do I have and which one would be easier or cheaper to do ?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 2490CE6A-DA8D-4680-B4D9-8C9FB866477D.jpeg
    2490CE6A-DA8D-4680-B4D9-8C9FB866477D.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 215EDFFC-7EE7-46C4-92F9-F426BB39DC88.jpeg
    215EDFFC-7EE7-46C4-92F9-F426BB39DC88.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
That opening is crying out for a new wood burning stove.

Maybe try and use the tiles on the wall to replace the hearth tiles.

Then clean up all the brick work. You need need to quick aggressively sand or grind all the cement and dirt off the brick work and then repoint but it would probably all scrub up nicely. Failing that, yes you could plaster it out on three sides as a diy job.

Had the same problem a few years ago so I got some fire proof cement from one of those shops to replaster the back and then fitted a colourful marble surround and hearth. Not cheap of course but looks an absolute treat when finished.

That opening is crying out for a new wood burning stove.

Maybe try and use the tiles on the wall to replace the hearth tiles.

Then clean up all the brick work. You need need to quick aggressively sand or grind all the cement and dirt off the brick work and then repoint but it would probably all scrub up nicely. Failing that, yes you could plaster it out on three sides as a diy job.
Thank you! That is very helpful advice! I guess even if I want to plaster all the sides, I still need to get all the cement and tiles off the side so I might as take them off and see if I can make them look good first ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back