Fireproof casing in the garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me if this casing (pictures below) in my garage is fireproof casing?

The casing covers the main soil stack. I'm planning to connect a soil branch for a new ensuite to the stack but obviously need to gain access behind it, I'm assuming that any pipes that run from garage to house have to be fire proofed and that I would have to re fireproof once I've accessed it (correct me if I'm wrong)

To me it looks like a combination of plaster and metal. House was built circa 1985

Couple of further questions:

If it is fire proof casing, what's the best way to access, or is it likely that it will just need to be cut into and re done once the job is complete?

If I need to re do the casing, can you buy pre fab casings or is it a custom jobby, if so what materials would I need?

View media item 54960 View media item 54961 View media item 54962 View media item 54963

Sponsored Links
It's a block wall so doesn't need to be fireproof boxing in. But any gaps around the pipework through to the house should be filled with intumescent material. If that is too tricky you can box in the pipe with two layers of 12.5mm plasterboard which will give the required fire resistance.

Great, thanks, as the new branch is going external until the bedroom (basically up through the garage roof and along the external wall until where toilet will be) I don't think I'll need to do any filling or boxing then. Cheers denso

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back