First post: door or door equivalent?

lwh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I'm new to DIY so apologies if my questions sound silly!

We need to install a door which separates our kitchen from the staircase. It's standard height but slightly wider: 124cm(width) * 187cm(height).

I wonder where I could get such a door? We do need one which fits well and leaves very small (if any) gaps as it's the door to the kitchen.

I am also wondering if there is any door equivalent like air-tight curtain (is there such a thing)?

Any help would be kindly appreciated!

Wayne

Sponsored Links
That's not standard height for any doors. Its very wide for a single door too. Has this gotta be a fire door? Ought to be really as its protecting the upstairs means of escape. You can get door blanks that are flush (non panelled doors) that you can cut down to suit although I'm not sure you'll even get one of those that width. size.

Not sure what you mean regading an air tight curtain? You can get seals for the door if that's what you mean.

hi freddymercurystwin - many thanks for the reply.

i understand the fire door point but i am happy with any door that works! are you talking about french doors? would any carpenter make doors for me?

by "air-tight" curtain i mean i just need anything that could provide me a somewhat air-tight separation between the kitchen and staircase. for example, i could simply install a curtain on the door frame but there will be lots of gaps... do you have other suggestions?

You have several option you could fit a fixed side panel to reduce opening and fit standard door size or a hinged panel to reduce door width [door and half] which would allow greater access for wide furniture etc.Or you could fit a pair of equal size doors using just one for general access.

Sponsored Links
hi foxhole -
i don't want to reduce the width becuase that's the only way to the stairs and reducing the size of door would make it difficult to move stuff around.

a pair of equal size doors would mean two doors of 61 cm x 198cm? As they are not standard size, would any carpenter make them for me?

thanks!

You can get door blanks from a wide range of suppliers (google 'fire door blank') these are essentially fire resistanmt doors that can be cut down to suit, a hardwood lipping fixed to any cut edges. Most suppliers of the door blanks should be able to supply you with suitable lippings.

Though I believe the largest door blanks you can get (including the supplier Alarm posted) are 1220 wide so you will need to build up your frames a little if you are intent on going for a really wide door of the size you intimated in your first post.

For an air tight seal just get some smoke seals fitted to the frame, they should restrict any odours effectively.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back